Visa, Residency Permit and general logistic information:
How and where do I have to request the Visa to come to study to Italy? And which kind of documents do I need for it?
Please visit the web portal of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the following link:
Do I have to follow the pre-enrollment procedure through the UNIVERSITALY website when I apply for the Foundation Course Program?

Yes, you must pre-enroll through the website after you have been accepted to the Foundation Course. Please find here the link:

I am (for ex.) a Kazakh student and I got my high school certificate in a school belonging to the Uzbekh system. Where do I request the Declaration of Value?

The Declaration of Value must be requested in the country to which the school system belongs, therefore you must contact the Italian Consulate/Embassy in Uzbekistan.

Does the University of Pisa offer University dorms or accommodation?

The University of Pisa does not have its own dorms, hence the best solution is to find accommodation through private landlords or estate agencies. The average monthly rent is between 300-350 euros for a single room in a shared apartment, and we can provide students with a list of websites and sources where they can find affordable options. Moreover, our international office can offer assistance to students looking for accommodation in the city.

How and where can I get my Residency Permit to stay in Italy? What documents do I need for it?

For more information about how to obtain your residency permit, please see the University of Pisa’s webpage:

Does the university assist me in getting my medical insurance, Residency Permit etc.?

Once in Italy, a tutor will assist students about logistic and bureaucratic matters such as: enrollment in the Italian National Health System, Tax Code, Residency Permit, Italian cellphone number, Italian bank account and so on.

In order to renew the Residency Permit, do I need to have an Italian bank account? Is it OK also to have a bank account abroad in my name or in the name of someone of my family?

It is necessary to have an Italian bank account in the name of the student who is renewing the Residency Permit, and within the account itself there must be funding for your stay equivalent to 458 euros for every month of the academic year, or at least 5,954 euros (458*13 months).

How can I get an Italian bank account?

There are several options for students in Italy. Please contact for more information.

May I visit other countries of the Schengen Area with my Study D Visa?

No, in order to do that you must first obtain your Residency Permit card.

Am I entitled to work in Italy even though I do not have a Work Visa?

Yes, Study VisaType D entitles students to legally work up to 20 hours per week. Of course, please note that a minimum knowledge of the Italian language is required in order to apply for any kind of job.

After I finish the Foundation Course, do I have to return to my country and apply for a new Visa?

Not necessarily.

If you complete the Foundation Course within the scheduled time and your Residency Permit lasts long enough, you might apply for a renewal of you Residency Permit without the need to get back to your country and to apply for a new Visa. If you renew the Residency Permit, you will be considered an EU student in the sense that if you apply for a bachelor’s degree programme, your application will not be included within the reserved spots set aside for non-EU students.

For further information please contact the Immigration Office, which is responsible for the release and renewal of the Residency Permit:

My Residency Permit was released by the Immigration Office of Pisa, but I will enroll in a Bachelor’s Degree at a different university in Italy. Where should I renew my Residency Permit?

It depends on when your Residency Permit expires. If it expires after you have already enrolled in a different university (for ex. Milan), then you must renew it in Milan. Otherwise, you can start the renewal procedure in Pisa, and when you move to Milan you must communicate your transfer to the Immigration Office in Pisa, so that they will be able to transfer your administrative paperwork to the office in Milan.

Study and university information:
How can I prove my English language knowledge to enter the Foundation Course Program?

We preferably accept internationally recognized English language certificates, such as IELTS, TOEFL or FCE. However, we also accept other kind of certificates issued by recognized language schools where there is an assessment of all the skills (Writing, Listening, Reading and Speaking) based on the CEFR framework of languages (from A1 to C2).

Finally, we accept the attendance of at least one year of secondary school in English Language. In addition, in some cases we can request a Skype interview between the applicant and one of our language teachers.

About IELTS, the minimum overall score required is 5.5

About TOEFL IBT, you can find the table of conversion here:

Are there any scholarships available?

Yes, there are two scholarships available to the best two students of the Foundation Course Program (enrolled from the academic year 2019/20) who want to keep studying at the University of Pisa.

The best two students will get a total tuition fee waiver for the first year of enrollment in any bachelor’s degree program chosen at the University of Pisa.

Moreover, if you successfully finish the Foundation Course and then you decide to continue to study at the University of Pisa in a Bachelor’s Degree Program, you will be able to apply for an ordinary DSU scholarship like all the other students. Please find some useful info about the scholarships here:

Do marks of secondary school qualification count in the evaluation procedure?

There is not a minimum grade to apply for our program. However, the evaluation commission can decide not to admit a candidate if their marks are too low.

Once enrolled, can I change from one Foundation Course option to another (for ex. from Humanities to Science)? If yes, until when?

Yes, you can do that at the most by the first two weeks from the beginning of the classes.

Can I apply to any Bachelor’s or Integrated Master’s Degree at the University of Pisa after the successful completion of the Foundation Course? What about the Italian language requirements?

Both the successful completion of the Foundation Course Humanities and Science gives students the chance to apply for any Bachelor’s or Integrated Master’s Degree at the University of Pisa.

About the Italian language requirements to enroll at the University of Pisa, the B1 level is required for Bachelor’s Degrees in English (IPH, Management for Business and Economics), while the B2 level or passing two universities exams taught in Italian are the requirements for the degrees in Italian.

The deadlines to obtain the language levels are the following:

  1. B1 and Foundation Course Diploma by December 31st of the academic year of enrollment in the Foundation Course
  2. B2 or two university exams held in Italian by September 30th of the academic year of enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Integrated Master’s Degree.

Students who have obtained the FC Diploma with a B1 level by the 31st of December are allowed to enroll to a Bachelor’s Degree in Italian “under condition” and they must reach the B2 level or pass two exams held in Italian of their chosen degree by September 30th of the subsequent year. If they do not reach the mentioned requirements by the deadline they are not allowed to continue to study at the University of Pisa.

If a student does not obtain the Foundation Course Diploma they are not allowed in any case (except if they already have the minimum schooling requirements to apply for an Italian university) to enroll (nor even under condition) at the University of Pisa.

Italian language proofs accepted after the end of the Foundation Course program:

Italian language test at CLI (University of Pisa linguistic center)

CLIQ certificate:

Does the Foundation Course exempt me from taking the entry/evaluation tests to enter some Bachelor’s or Integrated Master’s Degree Programs?

No, it does not. Having obtained a Foundation Course Diploma does not exempt you from taking the entry or the evaluation tests expected for some Bachelor’s or Integrated Master’s degree programs. You can find additional info here:


What if after the Foundation Course I want to apply to another Italian (or foreign) University which is not the University of Pisa?

If a student wants to apply to another University, they should ask them in advance what the academic requirements are for the enrollment, apart from having a High School Diploma/Secondary School Leaving Qualification and the Foundation Course Certificate (Humanities/Science).

The Foundation Course is recognized by the Italian government as a way to fill the gap between the secondary school and the University, but each University holds a certain degree of autonomy regarding the admission of its students, so please contact the Universities of interest to you in advance and ask them whether or not they will accept you with your Secondary School Leaving Qualification plus a Foundation Course certificate.

Will the foundation course prepare me for the entry test to enter the Medicine degree taught in Italian or in English?

The Foundation Course Science includes a group of subjects (such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Basic Mathematical Language, Modelling and Reasoning) structured in a level equivalent to the one taught in the last two years of an Italian high school, so they can give you a general knowledge which may be really helpful if you want to take the admission test in Medicine. Moreover, it includes 24 credits of Italian language through which you can reach up to the B2 level (which is the level generally required to enter the Italian Universities). However, please note that the admission test in Medicine does change every year and that the Foundation Course Science does not focus its attention on how to specifically get prepared for it.

How can I improve Italian and make new friends outside of the university?

You have many different ways to improve your language skills and to make new friends.

First of all, about the language make an effort to speak Italian instead of English and hang out as much as you can with Italian people. Moreover, watch movies with Italian subtitles and read whatever you can in Italian (books, newspapers, essays and so on).

Secondly, there are several university associations that enable international students meeting Italian (and other international) students, such as AEGEE (, ESN ( and, for those of you who like sports, the group Meet up, Keep fit and Make friends ( Contact them and enjoy your experience in Pisa!

Follow us:

Università di Pisa
Lungarno Pacinotti 44
56126 Pisa, Italia