Residency Permit

All non-EU students with a long-term Visa (more than 90 days) must apply for the Residency Permit within 8 days from their arrival in Italy. Students subjected to self-isolation must apply within 8 days from the end of it.

Which documents do you need?

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • Italian tax code
  • Health insurance (Private or registration to the Italian National Health System)
  • Bank statement proving that you have enough money to live in Italy for one year (minimum € 460, 28 per month)
  • Stamp (“marca da bollo) of €16; you can buy it in a Tobacco shop
  • Foundation Course acceptance letter

What do you have to do?

  1. Go to a “Patronato office” with a copy of the documents and ask them to prepare for you the envelope for the first request of the Residency Permit
  2. Go to the Post-office and send the envelope to the Immigration Office (Questura). You will be charged around €100 for this and you will be given a paper with an appointment at the Questura plus two receipts attached
  3. Send a copy of the paper and the receipts to

Patronato Offices

You may easily find one by googling “Patronato Pisa”. However, since it might not be easy to get an appointment in a short time we suggest you to go to Patronato ENAC/CAF UCI, Via Catalani, 37 (a street off via C. Battisti), tel. 050 5205494. No appointment is needed on Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 (noon) and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

What to take with you at the appointment date at the Immigration Office (“Questura”)

  1. Copy of the documents taken at the Patronato
  2. Two passport kind pictures
  3. Enrollment certificate at the University of Pisa. You may download it from the Alice portal (Menu/ Secretariat/ Certificates/ Iscrizione)


After the appointment at the Immigration Office, it will take at least one month to obtain the Residency permit card. You will receive a message in your cellphone telling you when the card is ready. However, it is strongly suggested to check regularly online about the progress of your application here.

The “numero pratica o assicurata” is the code that you can find in the paper with the date of appointment at the Immigration Office given you at the Post office when you request the Residency Permit.

For any problem please let us know!