Visa, Residency Permit and general logistic information:
How and where do I have to request the Visa to come to study to Italy? And which kind of documents do I need for it?
Please visit the web portal of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the following link:
Do I have to pre-enroll through the UNIVERSITALY website after I’ve been accepted in the Foundation Course?

Yes, but only if you have chosen the blended/on campus option and if you need a Study D Visa to come to Italy. Please verify here if you need a Visa.

In these cases you must pre-enroll through the Universitaly website right after you have received the acceptance letter. This is the link for the pre-enrollment procedure.

What is the Declaration of Value?

It is an informative document that describes a qualification awarded to a specific person by an institution belonging to an education system other than that of Italy. It is used for the evaluation of the qualification by the competent Offices within the University, for the purpose of enrolling in degree programmes or for the recognition of foreign qualifications.

The declaration of value is issued by the Italian Embassy in the country where the qualification was awarded. It generally contains the following information:

  • legal status and type of issuing institution;
  • access requirements for the programme resulting in the qualification;
  • legal duration of the study programme and/or overall commitment required of the student in terms of credits or hours;
  • value of the qualification in the system/country where it was issued, i.e. for academic and/or professional purposes.

If the qualification is issued by a school with a system that differs from that in the candidate’s place of residence (e.g., an Indian student studying in a British system school in India) or place of study (e.g. a Indian student studying in Switzerland in a British system school) the Declaration of Value must be requested from the Italian Embassy in the country of the system to which the qualification-issuing school adheres (in both of the above cases: the Italian General Consulate in London).

Does the University of Pisa offer University dorms or accommodation?

The University of Pisa does not have its own dorms, hence the best solution is to find accommodation through private landlords or estate agencies. The average monthly rent is between 300-400 euros for a single room in a shared apartment, and we can provide students with a list of websites and sources where they can find affordable options. Moreover, our international office can offer assistance to students looking for accommodation in the city.

Does the university assist me in getting my medical insurance, Residency Permit etc.?

Once in Italy, a tutor will assist students about logistic and bureaucratic matters such as: enrollment in the Italian National Health System, Tax Code, Residency Permit, Italian cellphone number and so on

Can I get an Italian bank account?

If you are a non-EU student residing abroad please note that it might be difficult to obtain an Italian debt card or an Italian bank account unless you have already the Residence permit.

Therefore, make sure you have already a bank account before coming to Italy which allows international transactions.

Am I entitled to work in Italy even though I do not have a Work Visa?

Yes, Study Visa Type D entitles students to legally work up to 20 hours per week. Of course, please note that a minimum knowledge of the Italian language might be required in order to apply for any kind of job.

After I finish the Foundation Course, do I have to get back to my country and apply for a new Visa?

Not necessarily.

If you complete the Foundation Course within the scheduled time and your Residency Permit lasts long enough, you might apply for the renewal of your Residency Permit without the need to get back to your country and to apply for a new Visa. If you renew the Residency Permit, you will be considered by the University of Pisa as an EU equated student, which means that if you apply for a bachelor’s degree, your application will not be included within the reserved spots set aside for non-EU students.

For further information please contact the Immigration Office, which is responsible for the release and renewal of the Residency Permit:

May I visit other countries of the Schengen Area with my Study D Visa?

No, in order to do that you must first obtain your Residency Permit card.

My Residency Permit for the Foundation Course has been released by the Immigration Office of Pisa. However, I will enroll to a Bachelor’s Degree in another city. Where should I renew my Residency Permit?

It depends on when your Residency Permit expires. If it expires after you have already finished the Foundation Course and after you have enrolled in another university (for ex.  in Milan), then you must renew the permit in Milan. Otherwise, you can start the renewal procedure in Pisa, and when you will move to Milan you must communicate your transfer to the Immigration Office in Pisa, so that they will be able to transfer your administrative paperwork to the office in Milan.

Back to top